Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Deny it if you want to but the truth stands that there is a certain fascination with death, murder and those who commit them. They have been the subject of oral history, literature, and cinema since people could communicate with one another. Because unfortunately there is evil in the world, and every story, true or false needs an antagonist. Sometimes people hear or see something of this nature and it sticks with them forever. Sometimes artists just need to feed this fascination. After all isnt that what art is? an expression of ones feelings. Sometimes people need to paint death.






Todays featured artist Is John Slaney www.slaney.etsy.com
All his paintings convey such strong emotional ties, whether its horror themed or portraitures, John Slaney is an amazing artist.

A bit about John Slaney:
My name is John Slaney. I live in Oakville, Connecticut with my wife, Rachel, our two children, Jace and Connor and our dog, Max. I've been pursuing and creating art all my life.

The bulk of my methods and technique have been developed through my own processes; that is to say, I'm mostly self-taught, but a fantastic art teacher in high school helped me amass a portfolio that won me a sizable scholarship to the Columbus College of Art and Design. At this time, my interest in writing would also flourish. I've also learned a great deal from other artists -- peers and friends alike.

For the most part, I work in oil paint and, before I lost a job that allotted me cheap resources to fashion them regularly, I painted primarily on homemade panels. Stretched Linen, and cotton 'army duck' canvas are now my main work surfaces. I also enjoy mixed-media collage and photography but, as is made obvious by my shop's contents, my focus is on oil painting.

My paintings encompass a variety of subjects with an emphasis on grotesque, highly interpretive portraiture, variations on 'traditional' portraiture and, sometimes, “unusual” wildlife. Though surrealist and Dadaist perspective, and post-impressionistic methods imbibe my approach, my own obsession with texture, strong color, contrast, detail and depth through heavy layering are constants.

My primary influences include – but, naturally, are not limited to – Egon Schiele, Otto Dix, Hieronymus Bosch, Albrecht Durer, Matthias (Mathis) Grunewald, Francisco Goya, Michelangelo Caravaggio, Jusepe de Ribera, El Greco, Rembrandt, Gustave Moreau, Vincent Van Gogh, Jose Posada, Paul Cezanne, Joan Miro, Max Ernst, Roberto Matta and Odd Nerdrum, among others.

My family -- especially my wife, Rachel -- is, on an immeasurable scale, my truest and grandest of inspirations. To share my work with them -- with her -- is what I treasure above all else . . . Above awards, above money, above the compliments of peers and above accolades and fanfare of all types. I am startlingly fortunate to have the family I do.

My artistic goals are modest. Simply to finish a work is a thrilling achievement, as the small, scattered increments of time I do have must be properly juggled and exploited in order to stab and stroke at my latest piece – even for just an hour or two at a time. My creative endeavors are realized late at night, when it's quiet and dark and sleepy.


Check him out on facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/john.studiosfineart?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment